december 2018 – its the end of the year…
So, 2018 draws to a close and we pause to take what we hope is a refreshing break before hitting 2019 at a gentle gallop.
So where did we end up? First and foremost we’d like to say a huge thank you to all of the clients, advisers and professional connections who have supported Odyssey since its launch.
Support for us has ranged from those who have provided us with a warm words of wisdom or encouragement, to those who have chosen to place business with us. A further thank you to those of you who have also very kindly provided us with testimonials – having a few positive words that we can publicise has made a tremendous difference to us and each one is hugely appreciated.
We ended the year with a number of positives:
– Successfully launching our SIPP proposition;
– Writing, so far, almost equal numbers of SIPP and SSAS schemes;
– Obtaining good quality ratings within the Research Provider areas, including five star ratings for our SIPP and SSAS products with Defaqto;
– Managing to defeat a plague of fruit flies that threatened to overwhelm our kitchen at one stage (that’s another story, including the traps that we researched and created…!)
There’s no doubt that 2018 has been an up and down year for SIPP and SSAS providers – and on the whole, given the adverse press reporting, mostly down. Non-standard investments remain the biggest issue by far, and we expect turbulence to intensify in 2019 as other cases come before the High Court. For us at Odyssey, it reinforces our decision to ensure our SIPP stays clear of non-standard investments, allowing us to focus our attentions on continuing to develop our proposition and providing high-quality service.
So, briefly, what do we expect in 2019 for Odyssey…? We’re keeping our feet firmly on the ground, and our goals are simple:
– Continued development of manageable volumes of high-quality business;
– Continuing to work and develop relationships with Financial Advisers, Investment Managers and other professional connections;
– Enhancements to our website and online functionality;
– Persuade the Directors of the business to put their money where their mouths are by actually doing some charitable good works… more on that in the New Year!
It remains to wish all of you a Happy Christmas and New Year, and we look forward to working with you next year. Throughout the Christmas break, there will be reduced cover at the office, but we are contactable by normal means and will, of course, respond as quickly as we can to any enquiry.